Wednesday, December 31, 2008
A year in review.
Oh what a difference a year makes! We moved to NC exactly a year ago. Jon was starting a new job, unsure what he would think about managing people, unsure about the pork business. I was beginning to stay at home with Griffin, unsure about not working, unsure about moving so far away from family and friends, unsure I would make any friends since most of my "adult" made friends had been work related. I was afraid I would be so isolated from the world. We had no home in NC and we still had a house for sale in Harrison. Griffin was just starting to crawl and get teeth. We were working on not nursing anymore. But by a few days into 2008 we put in an offer on our new house that was accepted. Our house in Harrison had a contract on it during January. We moved into our house the first of February and closed on the house in Harrison later in the month. Also in February, my dad was able to come and help us settle into our house and Griffin and I were able to make a trip to Arkansas. I had my last birthday to start with a 2 on March 1 (yep, that makes this year's start with a 3, which I am not loving). Griffin turned 1 on March 2 with a trip to the beach. I can't tell you how much I love that "beach" is in his vocabulary. That is something that wouldn't have happened in Arkansas. Jon turned 29 on March 24th. Don, Mary and Betty came and visited us in April. I was invited to Newcomer's by Griffin's pediatrician in May. That has turned into me meeting a wonderful group of women I can count on for a great time and they are people I completely enjoy. From attending that I have gotten involved in Clinton Junior Women's Club and Sampson Social Club. And in January I am starting a playgroup with women I met from all of those groups. In June, my parents came here and then Griffin, Jon and I went to Arkansas. In August Chris and Rachel came to visit. And in September Griffin and I headed back to Arkansas. In October, Griffin and I made it through 10 days of Jon being gone to Kentucky. In November, I got my presidential wish, Griffin and I went to Oklahoma to meet Ryder and see Erin, Parker, Luke, Jim and Patty. We also welcomed Don, Mary and Betty for another visit and held our first solo Thanksgiving. December has rushed by as usual and was full of wonderful and memorable times. Griffin got his first real golf clubs, many choo choo and Elmo movies, a fantastic Fisher Price DVD player to watch them on which is great for plane trips, cute clothes and choo choo pj's, choo choo trains. Do you see the pattern there? Griffin had a horrible temper tantrum in the Sonic parking lot while we were trying to look at Christmas lights. It is something we do every year, and every year Jon and Daryl complain about it. And now Griffin has decided to be one of the "guys" and really ruined our fun. We all did have fun laughing at how hysterical he became wanting out of the car. So now we will have that story to share every year as we look back on things and reminisce. We end the year knowing North Carolina was meant to be and have no regrets. Except we might have left Harrison sooner, we just really weren't happy there. Jon enjoys being a manager, even with all that comes with it. He has learned a lot about the pork business, even if he still won't eat any other than bacon. His boss is very pleased with all that he does and he feels appreciated. I enjoy not working, most of the time, and do not feel isolated at all. I have been able to meet more people in this year than the 4 1/2 years I spent in Harrison. I really feel at home here. Griffin went from crawling to walking to running and climbing. Now he has most of his teeth and says new things everyday. We are amazed with what he comes up with and his thought processes. So I am spending my New Year's Eve reminiscing while my boys and birthday dog (6 years old today) are tucked snugly in bed. I am determined to make it til midnight this year since last year I was in bed by 10:30, even if I am alone. I feel so blessed with how this year has turned out and can't wait to see what 2009 brings. Although I am still apprehensive of that 3-0 birthday. But I do try and remember that I have a lot to be thankful for in those 30 years. A wonderful, thoughtful, yet golf obsessed husband, a perfectly silly, sweet boy, a hairy gentle daughter, healthy and fabulous family, new and old friends and a lovely, safe home. So Happy New Year's to all of you and may you all be blessed in 2009. May all your happies multiply and all your problems and worries work themselves out in the new year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment